About the Symposium
Blockchain is an emerging technology that can transform businesses, industries and public organizations. Blockchain is a digital ledger technology that cryptographically hashed, authenticated, and maintained through a distributed or a shared network of participants using a group agreement protocol. Blockchain allows peers to peer exchange of money directly without the need for a traditional financial intermediary or a “third party”, with lower cost and high-speed transactions. Adding to that, Blockchain is a technology that transfers all kinds of information contents faster, traceable, and in secured ways, and portable and adaptable to different types of applications and technologies. Services such as property transfers, the execution of contracts, authentication services, network and device management, records management and supply chain management, could transform supply chains & governmental functions, including central banking, all above can use and benefit from the Blockchain. In fact, Blockchain is a great opportunity that can be adopted by financial institutions and gradually replacing less efficient current technologies.
While governments are attempting to optimize the future technologies, Blockchain runs outside the current policies and regulations, and requires a comprehensive framework to adapt including infrastructure, talents, regulation, policies …etc.
Adoption of Blockchain technology in Oman could impact positively in several ways. Adopting such technology will lead us in Oman to be a pioneers in the region. Blockchain is an enabling technology that lead Oman to achieve efficient operations through optimizing the current services of emerging applications such as identity management, data management as well as supply chain management. Therefore, it is essential to analyze these technologies critically to learn lessons from international best practices that benefits Oman.
The Blockchain Club has already participated in development of local capacities via specialized trainings at an international level on Blockchain use-cases and platforms for developing (Coding) applications. The Club trained so far more than 100 locals as professional programmers of Blockchain applications, whom may become in the near future the national industry for developing this kind of future digital technologies. The Club’s specialized training programs are still on going.
The Club continually is exploring other future digital technologies that can be integrated with Blockchain, such as Internet of Things (IoT’s), Big-data and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Hence, the Symposium aims to outline the technologies that can be adopted, intergraded an emerged with the Blockchain. Such as the digital technologies used in both financial and services sectors. The symposium also focuses on the potential applications for Oman and will allude the governance’s framework (policy & regulatory) required to empower such technologies in a safe and secure manner.
- Understand how Blockchain can be integrated with current banking, financial and government services systems
- Highlight key applications of Blockchain globally
- Highlight specific applications of use to Oman
- Outline best approaches for shifting current systems to Blockchain while integrated with IoT’s and AI
- Highlight the regulatory framework needed to encompass such technologies in Oman in a safe and secure manner
Main Agenda of the Symposium
The symposium will deliberate on:
- Integration of digital technologies with Blockchain platforms.
- Blockchain in Financial and Government services.
- Digital transformations.
- Required Cyber-security.
- National trends to digital transformation and adoption of digital technologies.
- Role of telecommunication in nurturing digital technologies.
9:00 – 10:30
Movie: Current Achievements & Future Prospective
9:00 – 9:05
9:05 – 9:15
Keynote speaker: “Justin Smith”
“Challenges, Opportunities & Impacts”
9:15 – 9:30
Moderator: “Shivansan Macilamani”
“Rapid development of Blockchain technology and impacts on economies”:
- Cyber-Security (Khaled Ouafi)
- Financial Sector (Daniel Spier)
- Regulatory Landscape (John Tierney)
- Real-estate & Assets (Stephane Rind)
- Diamonds Tokenization (Immanuel van Poppel)
9:30 – 10: 30
Break & Networking
10:30 – 11:00
11:00 – 12:15
Keynote Speaker: “Tom Trowbridge”
“Technologies Integration with Blockchain”
11:00 – 11:15
Moderator: “James Roy Poulert”
“Integration of Blockchain in business & industry and cyber-security”:
- IoT & Integration of Platforms (Tom Trowbridge)
- Banking Infrastructure (Kamal Youssefi)
- AI & Machine Learning (Darius Montvila)
- Supply Chain & Trade Finance (Shivansan Macilamani)
- Tokenization Infrastructure (Justin Smith)
11:15 – 12:15
Break & Networking
12:15 – 12:30
12:30 – 01:45
Keynote Speaker: “Dr. Khalid Tahhan”
“Digital Transformation & National Initiatives”
12:30 – 12:45
Moderator: “Hazem Danny Nakib”
Digital Transformation to Blockchain in local Public and Government Services:
- Transportation and Logistics (Sanjeev Madavi)
- Medical Sector (Abdullah Almunieeri)
- Tracking Systems (Yousuf Alwati)
- Endowments ( Mohammed Almamari)
- Telco & ICT (Fadi Nasser)
- eGovernment (Dr. Khalid Tahhan)
12:45 – 01:45
01:45 – 01:55